Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Hockey Start up Information
Rep Tryouts will begin August 31st and you will be emailed the tryout schedule next week.
Recreation hockey will begin the week of September 19th in the division practice times. You will be emailed a schedule by mid September. Coaches are still needed in most divisions, and we require all coaches in place before the season begins. Please let us know if you would like to coach this year and we will let you know the qualifications needed.
*Practice days planned (*subject to change) are as follows:
Initiation – Mondays
Novice – 4 teams Tuesdays and 2 teams Wednesdays
Atom Rec – 2 teams Mondays and 2 teams Tuesdays, play superleague games on weekends
Peewee Rec – 2 teams Mondays and 2 teams Wednesdays, play superleage games on weekends
Bantam Rec – 2 teams Wednesdays, play superleague games on weekends
Midget Rec – 2 teams Mondays and 2 teams Wednesdays, play superleague games on weekends
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Potential Zone Teams
OMAHA / BC Hockey have been working on a zonal proposal regarding realignment of Associations to allow common sense movement of players within that zone to try out for any tiered team. For example; a player living in Salmon Arm can try out for the tier 1 team that might be based in Vernon etc. In previous years, if any association had a team in category in any midget division (tier 2 or 3), players could not try out for a higher tiered team in an adjacent Association. OMAHA also would announce where these rep teams will be located based on where the majority of players are from. Also, consideration would be given to what level of competitiveness would suit the team in each community. Pre-season game results would also factor into determining what would be the best competitive level for these teams. There were a number of excellent questions that will require answers. At this point here is where this tentative proposal stands:
1. Vernon would be considered in a zone with Salmon Arm, North Okanagan, Sicamous, Lumby and Revelstoke and Chase.
2. Chuck is hoping to address a number questions regarding operation of this pilot project with a sub committee made up of representatives of each Association.
3. The plan would be presented to all Associations.
4. The possible options might be to move forward with one division (i.e. midgets) or more or none at all.
5. It is the understanding that each association will have the opportunity to accept or reject any part of the proposal.
6. There would be a paid coach.
7. Proposed (only proposed) budget at around 2,000.00 a player but the possibility of corporate sponsor.
Our association has made no formal decisions on this proposal and are presently in a discussion stage. We will do our best to keep the membership aware. What I would like to know is how much interest in there is in the zone team and any questions you may seek answers to. If anyone has interest in being on the committee that will work through this process, please let me know.
Please send all comments and questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2016